Friday, May 31, 2013

Pair of ducks?


I love paradoxes. I enjoy explaining them to young people with the use of my favorite riddle. 

Question: What gets larger the more we take away from it? (Answer below)

Paradoxes help me grasp difficult concepts; I just don't always embrace them fully.
I believe the Scriptures are full of examples of paradoxes.
Take affirmation for example. Affirmation only comes when we surrender our self-image to God and identify ourselves as image bearers of God. Then my self-image has definition and significance.

Now think about freedom. I have often given the example of a fish in a fishbowl when explaining about the paradox of freedom. If the fish in a fishbowl desires to jump out into the larger world, the fish obviously surrenders to death. Accepting the boundaries of the glass fishbowl actually bring freedom and life. Accepting my circumstances as a gift from God versus my own selfish ambitions frees me to serve him more fully and gratefully.

The idea of paradox applies to managing God's abundance too. Learning to give freely is also paradoxical: Abundant living is actually a result of abundant giving.
Answer: A hole

1 comment: