Sunday, February 24, 2013

Revealing contrast speaks volumes

The Widow’s Offering
As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

The Destruction of the Temple and Signs of the End Times
Some of his disciples were remarking about how the temple was adorned with beautiful stones and with gifts dedicated to God. But Jesus said, “As for what you see here, the time will come when not one stone will be left on another; every one of them will be thrown down.” Luke 21:1-6 (NIV)

A Lenten commitment brings me into the book of Luke this season. A previously unnoticed contrast struck me recently: The story of the widow's mite is set in the temple grounds. Jesus observed the sacrifice of the widow giving all she had, and next we read of the disciples asking about the beauty that adorns the temple. Jesus' response is to talk of the destruction of such things and to encourage them to not be deceived.

Deceived by what? The false security of comforts that come and go and quickly fade? The impression that wealth provides safety, security, protection and evidence of “rich” faith?

Jesus knew the widow's heart; her motivation was the love she had for her God. She had no fear, reminding me of 1 John 4:18, which says there is no fear in love—perfect love drives out fear.

Do I have the love exemplified by the widow, or do I hold tightly to what will fade away? Do I have the courage to live like the widow? Am I willing to give all I have with no worry about tomorrow? These are questions I can carry with me throughout Lent, and beyond.

1 comment:

  1. The widow's mites is one of my favorite accounts in the Bible. It is what I think of every time that I hear about a billionaire donating one million dollars to charity, or when I hear working-class folks say that they cannot afford to give. It has been a sharp reminder in my life of the call to stewardship.

    ReplyDelete